Makes: 2-3 Servings
1/2 a large cauliflower broken in to bite size pieces
The Cauliflower Batter:
1 cup of rice flour
1/2 tsp of salt
1 tsp of garlic powder
1 tsp of onion powder
(optional) 1 tsp of ground ginger
1/2 tsp of black pepper
1-1/2 cup of cold water (make sure you use cold water to prevent lumps)
oil for cooking
additional salt and pepper to taste
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice.
1/2 tsp of orange zest
1 tbs of tamari
4 Tbsp brown sugar
1 minced garlic clove
1-1/2 tsp of fresh grated ginger
2 tbs rice vinegar (you can always use regular vinegar if you don't have rice vinegar)
2 tbs of cold water
1 tbs of rice flour (or cornstarch, potato starch, or even regular all purpose flour)
- First mix the together the sauce ingredients by placing all of the ingredients into a small pot and whisk well.
- Bring the pot to a medium/low heat and allow the sauce to come to a gentle simmer while stirring for about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add salt to taste. Set the sauce aside while preparing the remaining ingredients.
- Next prepare the cauliflower batter by combining all of the ingredients into a large bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Next place a large skillet over medium heat and add in about 1/2 of an inch of oil.
- Place the cauliflower into the batter then carefully place each piece into the hot oil. (You will need to make these in batches to be sure not to over crowd your pan)
- Cook the cauliflower for about 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown and crispy.
- Drain on a paper towel then place into a large bowl and pour on the sauce and toss to make sure all of the cauliflower is evenly coated. Use any remaining sauce for your veggies.
- Eat up!!