Tuesday, April 24, 2012
1 can chickpeas, drained
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/4 cup hemp seeds
1 tsp garlic
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
a few dashes of pepper, cayenne and salt to taste
1 - 2 tsp spelt flour
1 cup bread crumbs for coating
Coconut oil for frying
1. Add the chickpeas and pumpkin to a large mixing bowl. With a large fork or potato masher, mash the beans until at least 75% of them have been mashed together with the pumpkin.
2. Add in the spices, apple cider, hemp seeds and optional flour. Fold together until a moist mixture forms.
3. Preheat a few tablespoons of safflower oil in a large skillet.
4. When the oil is hot, for the mixture into golf ball sized balls and roll in your crumbs until well covered - pat down into flatter cakes and place int he hot oil - carefully.
5. Continue until the pan is full - leave about an inch space between each cake for easier flipping. Cook on each side only about 1-2 minutes - or until toasty brown. Try not to burn, although a bit of crisping is nice.
6. Transfer cooked fritters to a paper towel to cool.
Sage Cream Sauce
I blend up 4 fresh sage leaves with 1 cup silken tofu, 2 Tbsp lemon juice, 1 heaping spoonful of vegan mayo and a pinch of fresh parsley and 1/8 tsp cayanne pepper.