Saturday, November 19, 2011

Tamarind Lentils

WOW. Ok I know I use that word a lot BUT wow this recipe is so good. You can taste the sweet, tangy, spicy and mmmm comfort food. I didn't minced the ginger I diced it into very very small dice and you can taste the ginger. I served this dish on top of brown basmati rice.  Says serves 4 - 6 hmmmm I say serves 1. :)

3 tbsp coconut oil (the BEST oil to use for frying)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 inch fresh ginger (diced into very small dice)
1 large onion, diced
1 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp cayenne
1 cup red lentils (you can use brown or green and they will hold their shape better but I like red)
2 cups veg broth
2 tsp tamarind
1 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 tsp salt

In a pot melt the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and ginger and let sizzle for 30 seconds. Add the onion and fry until soft about 3 minutes. Stir in the spices and heat for 30 seconds. Add the lentils and veg broth, turn up the heat to high and bring to a boil. Stir and lower heat to med/low. Partially cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the lentils have absorbed most of the liquid and are tender.
Mix together tamarind, syrup, paste and salt. Stir into lentils, and simmer for 6 minutes. Serve

No comments:

Post a Comment