- 2 20-ounce cans young green jackfruit in water (NOT in syrup or brine)
- 1/4 cup BBQ seasoning (2 Tbsp brown sugar + 1 tsp paprika + 1 tsp garlic powder + 1/2 tsp salt + 1/2 tsp pepper + 1/2 tsp chili powder)
- 3/4 cup BBQ sauce (ensure it’s vegan) + more for topping
- 2 cups shredded cabbage + carrots
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 lime, juiced
- Salt + Pepper to taste
- bun or bread. I used GF bread, toasted.
- Rinse, drain and thoroughly dry jackfruit. Chop off the centre "core" portion of the fruit and discard. Place in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Mix together BBQ seasoning and add to jackfruit. Toss to coat.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 1-2 Tbsp oil of choice and seasoned jackfruit. Toss to coat and cook for 2-3 minutes to achieve some colour.
- Add BBQ sauce and thin with enough water to make a sauce. Stir and reduce heat to low- medium and cook for about 20 minutes (up to 35 minutes on low for a deeper flavour).
- Remove lid and stir occasionally. For finer texture, use two forks to shred the jackfruit as it cooks down.
- In the meantime, make slaw by adding all ingredients except vegetables (avocado through salt + pepper) to a small mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Once the jackfruit has been properly simmered, turn up heat to medium-high and cook for 2-3 more minutes to get a little extra colour/texture. Then remove from heat.
- Place generous portions of slaw on the bottom buns or bread, top with generous serving of BBQ jackfruit. Serve with extra BBQ sauce!