So good. The recipe called for broccoli but I used spinach.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, divided
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup broccoli, steamed or boiled ( used raw spinach)
- 1 cup brown mushrooms, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp cayenne, optional
- salt/pepper to taste (I used 1 tsp salt)
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Sliced tomatoes
- Preheat over to 350°F. Meanwhile, in a sauté pan on medium-high heat 2 tsp pf of the oil. Add onions, mushrooms, and garlic. Sauté until soft and slightly browned. Remove, set aside to cool slightly.
- In a blender whip tofu, milk, nutritional yeast, turmeric, cumin, basil, cayenne, salt and pepper. This mixture will be exceptionally thick and that's okay! You can thin it down with up to 2 tbsp of water if you need to get it thinned enough to blend.
- In a large bowl fold all vegetables into the tofu mixture. Then fold in the cilantro. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Oil a 9" pie pan with remaining tsp of oil or line with parchment paper. Pour batter in and jiggle to help it settle. Top with tomato slices, sprinkle smoked paprika, a few grinds of fresh pepper and cover with aluminium foil.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean from the middle.
- Remove foil and switch oven to broil for 1-3 minutes, watching closely to avoid burning, until browned.
- Let the quiche sit for about 10-15 minutes to finish setting. Slice into pieces and serve warm